How To Make Your First $100 With Affiliate Marketing
~This post contains affiliate links, this means that SOME links could lead to a small compensation at no extra cost to you.~
“MAKE $1,000,000,000 DOLLARS IN AFFILIATE MARKETING THROUGH YOUR BLOG!”
When I started blogging, that’s all I ever saw. How to make this CRAZY amount of cash through your blog. I'm not saying that it’s not possible; I’m quite sure it is. However, I started blogging in October of 2017 and I made my first $10 in December. In 2018, I’ve made a consistent $100-200/month on my blog. I want to share with you exactly what I do.
When I started blogging, I combed the internet trying to find affiliate marketing programs. The first one I came across was mentioned by many other bloggers. There are A LOT of affiliate programs out there so it shouldn't be hard to find a program to join.
The first program I joined was Share-a-sale. This website has hundreds of merchants to pick from and you're bound to find a store or product you want to promote. Wayfair, Lulu's, and many other well-known retailers are amongst the said merchants. Once you find a program you want to be an affiliate for, you're given the option to add any promotional strategies you plan to implement this program. Although this is optional, it speeds up your process for approval. This does not have to be a long drawn out sales strategy; just a few things you intend to do to promote their product. Don't forget to add your website so they can check you out!
Within Share-a-sale, I am an affiliate for several different stores. Share-a-sale is my top pick for an affiliate marketing platform.
And then there's Amazon. Ahhh, Amazon. Do we love it or do we love it? Right now is the PERFECT time to get in on the Amazon hype! Amazon Associates is an affiliate program that allows approved users to promote products on Amazon through their links. This is honestly one of the best ways to make your money through affiliate marketing. You don't have to convince consumers to buy from Amazon, they've already done the legwork. They just give you links and use provide them!
If you want to sell with Amazon, read Laura Iancu's ebook on Amazon Affiliate Marketing. If you don't know who she is, she's a bloggin' badass who has gone completely full-time. In her ebook, she breaks down how to get approved and make actual money on Amazon.
Now that I've shared the two affiliate programs I use the most, let's talk about HOW to monetize these programs!
It's been said that blogging is a labor of love. You will put a lot of work into your content and you may or may not see the fruits of your labor.
The best way to make money from your affiliate programs is..... CONTENT!
I'm sure this doesn't come as a surprise to you but if you're not promoting the affiliate programs through content. no one will ever see it.
Here are my tips for blogging about affiliate programs you promote:
1. Be genuine- Be sure that you actually use and believe in the product/company that you're promoting. Example
2. Add Value- You have to add value to your audience. Share a story, a problem you have that others might, tell them how this product helped you. Be transparent and genuine and ditch the sales pitch. For example, see post
3. Be Consistent- This was the hardest thing I've always had trouble with. One blog post may not be enough. You have to keep telling the same story repeatedly in different ways. Use different platforms such as Instagram and Facebook.
4. Be True to You- I'm approached about being a marketer all the time for things I know I couldn't possibly sell. Like baby items (I don't have kids), makeup, nail polish, craftsy things etc. I will not accept projects and partnerships for the sake of possibly making money. People can see through that.
5. Don't Give Up- I know this one is a no-brainer but trust me, there have been many times when I've wanted to give it up. I told myself that it couldn't be done. But if you stick to it and stay consistent, you will reap the benefits of your labor.
6. USE SOCIAL MEDIA- Get on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest. Tell a story. Build a brand. This is another thing that I've been working on but some of the most successful people who excel at affiliate marketing/blogging excel at building their personal brand. MAKE PEOPLE CARE.
If you're ready to dive into affiliate marketing then Share-a-sale and Amazon Associates are definitely the way to go, in my opinion. Snag Laura's book, this will help you get started and hit the ground running on Amazon!